Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Daudy-6/22

Today marks a week since Dad’s accident. It’s amazing how our schedule has changed in 1 weeks time. We all 3 specialist come in today and non have answers. They said we could do more tests but that wouldn’t change what we are doing, so for now, it’s one day at a time. At this time, Daudy opens his eyes and his eyes will even follow you, but it doesn’t appear that he knows us. He doesn’t attempt to talk, he doesn’t squeeze our hand and has not had anything by mouth since he is in the hospital. He is getting high doses of oxygen in order to keep his saturation levels up.

Wil was expressing concern to a co-worker about not knowing what the next step is. His co-worker said, “let go-let God”.

This morning Wil went into the hospital early as usual, so he can be there if any Doctors show up. I got there around 9:00 and was there until 5:30. Wil’s nephew, Jim was there with Daudy when I got there. This morning Daudy had his eyes open a lot but also moaned a fair amount. Wil was working downstairs and would come up whenever a Doctor came. I sent him a text once that said, “please come!” Daudy had phlegm issues and it appeared he was choking and I panicked. Soon after that they gave him another dose of morphine and that helped a lot.

Dave and Agne stopped in for a while this afternoon.

P1010713

Mary worked today and then after work, she went to LaGrange to get Mom. Mary then went on home and Mom stayed for around 2 hours, before I took her home. Mary along with Jim's family spent time with Daudy in the evening.

P1010714

The drive from Goshen to Lagrange is quite long, but today it seemed much shorter. I had a very special time with Mom on the way back. She cried as she talked about her fears of never being able to talk with her husband again. She talked about her love for him, how he tried to treat people fair, we talked about our ultimate goal being heaven and how she doesn’t want him to suffer, but she would really miss him. I encouraged her to be open about her feelings at the Nursing Home and she said how good they have been about it.

I got home in time to mow the yard and work in the garden. Wil got home in time to till the garden. It was really bad.

Wil is getting pretty exhausted. It’s been early mornings and late nights. I am fortunate to have good replacement and have not worked much since the accident, so I can sit with Daudy.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

that's great you can spend so much time at the hospital with Daudy, although i'm sure it's also stressful. be sure to get your rest, mom and dad!

Gina said...

Love & prayers being sent your way from KS! Your dedication & love for your parents is evident & encouraging to see. I can imagine that you're emotionally exhausted which then also increases physical exhaustion! Still praying that God gives you the strength, peace, & wisdom that you need for each day.
We love you!

Carolyn Miller said...

Thanks for the posts Kathy. It is nice to be able to keep up with you this way.

Grace Bontrager said...

thanks for the update-was wondering how yesterday went. This morning in my devotional it gave this: "Yahweh Shalom" (meaning "the Lord is peace") and one of my favorite verses- "The Lord your God is with you. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17
So do you hear Him singing over you today? I think I do-am listening for it just in case you can't hear it over then noise of the day!