Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Daudy-Wil's dad

Yesterday I took the day off since I had a Doctor appointment in the morning. In the afternoon, I pulled some weeds at Daudy's place, mowed my yard and then went to the garden. Most always, I take my phone with me, and yesterday I didn't.

Wil came home and said that he had gotten a call from the police that Daudy had an accident on the way to the Nursing Home, and was at LaGrange Hospital. I quickly changed and we went to LaGrange thinking we would be bringing him home with us. As soon as we saw him, we knew that wasn't the case. They told us that he had broken his right ankle and wanting to do CT Scans.

I went to the Nursing Home to give Mom the news. She thought sure I'd take her over to the hospital and I felt bad not to, but knew that I couldn't. While I was still there, Wil said they had a mini crisis on the way back from the CT Scan. The brief time that Daudy was off his oxygen, he became unresponsive. The ER doctor felt that he should be transferred and so we asked to have him sent to Goshen. There he would be treated with Doctors that knew his history. Before he left Lagrange, the ER Doctor put in 7 staples in the back of his head, where he had a big cut. That was done without numbing and I had to walk out the room. For those of you that know him would appreciate the comment he made when they were done..."well, that wasn't necessary"! We were very pleased with his care at LaGrange.

We had called for Mary to join us at Lagrange after Daudy had been unresponsive. On the way back to Goshen, we got sandwiches and then were with Daudy until late. He seemed confused before he settled down and went to sleep.

This morning early, he made a change for the worse and has more or less been sleeping the entire day. His lungs started filling up and he was moaning and groaning with each breath. They gave him something that would drain the fluids which helped the rattles in his lungs. The Surgeon is feeling like the 3 hour surgery would be too much for Daudy and there is a good chance that they will just put on a cast.

I have been sitting with Daudy since 7:00 this morning. His labored breathing and groaning had gotten to me around 10:00 and I decided to go down to see Wil. The tears started to fall as I left the room. I got down to Wil's office and he was in a meeting, so I pulled myself back together and went back to the room. I sent Matt a text and asked if he would come out to see Daudy sometime today. He ended up coming, around 2:00. Thanks Matt.

Around 11:00, they gave Dad some more Morphine and from there out, he slept without groaning. However, now it's more or less impossible to wake him. Before his morphine, he would mumble out a word or two when I asked him a question. I got him to open his eyes when Matt came, but I don't expect him to remember. He hasn't eaten since yesterday noon.

4:10 The surgeon was just in, and showed Wil and I the x-rays of Daudy's ankle. For right now, since Daudy isn't doing so good, they will wait to put on a cast until Friday or Saturday.

So now we wait.................

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, Kathy...this is sad...

StuckeyBlog said...

I'm so sorry, Kathy. :(

anna said...

It's so tough when you feel like there isn't much to do to help, and then just wait! So sorry!

Anonymous said...

My heart is so sad for you guys! Let me know if I can come & sit with you!! Seriously!

Anonymous said...

I was just sitting here thinking...what a difference a day makes!?! Over the weekend during all of your reunions you would have never thought that this week you would be sitting in the hospital with your Daudy....you are in our prayers!

Gina said...

My heart is hurting for you guys! It's not fun to sit there feeling so helpless. We are praying for strength for you all! Lot's of love being sent your way!!!