Saturday, June 11, 2011

Knee Surgery

(In my lovely gown before surgery)

On Thursday June 2nd I went in the Hospital for Left Knee Arthroscopy Surgery as an out patient. I know some more about the knee since my Surgery. Almost a week after my surgery, I found out exactly what all he had done. He claimed I made him work hard, which is probably what he tells all his patients:) Besides the medial meniscus tear repair, he had to cut and repair the lateral Meniscus that had never developed properly after birth. He removed the medial Plica, that also was causing problems. I had to look that up when I got home to know what that was. He cleaned up some Arthritis as well. He then informed me that I may need to have a Lubricant or Cortisone injection later. They can do one or the other every 3 months. Years down the road, a possible partial knee replacement but I shouldn't ever need a full knee replacement.(like my sister, Anna)

In the Recovery Room

After I got home from the hospital and the only place that I have been able to sleep without pain at night, so far.

This was taken 2 days after surgery.

My 1st Physical Therapy was on Tuesday the 7th and my 1st follow up app. was the 8th. Dr. Rao said that I should give him a month of my time. Not more walking then I need to, leg up as much as possible, put on the ice machine(that Anna loaned me)as much as I want but at least several times a day. I have to do stretches that hurt, twice a day and go to Physical Therapy 3 times a week. Needless to say, its a bit more then I thought it was going to be.

My tooth that gave me total grief, the 2 plus weeks before my surgery, is healing. There are times that I wonder if it's done giving me trouble. The knee restricts me more then the tooth, but the tooth pain was much worse then the knee pain.

This last year, Middlebury Chiropractic has put up with a lot by having me as an employee. First when Wil's Dad went to the hospital, followed by his death, then Wil's Mom coming to live with us and me only working 1-2 days a week and eventually only Saturdays. There was also some time taken off for both my parent's health problems. Now this past month it has been my tooth and knee. We never know what will come our way.

3 comments:

Mary A. Miller said...

So glad that's behind you, Kathy! I think enough has happened in one year's time.

Sue said...

You have had a rough road! I'm so glad too, your surgery is behind you! Take care of yourself!

Lynette Polinder said...

I just saw this now. I'm glad the worst of this is over. You poor thing!