Saturday, November 1, 2008

Applesauce in Beachyville

Last evening Wil, myself and Matt went over to our Amish neighbors to cut up apples in preparation for making applesauce. Last year I had wanted to put up a couple bushels for Matt and Monica and decided it would be fun to do it with the neighbors. This year we decided to do a total of 3 bushels for Matt's and 2 for us and I think we may have started a tradition. They have the set up and we have the man power. I must say that they have the children power!
Wil started out sorting the apples and the children and I washed them all.
And then the schnitzing(as they call it) began. We cut up apples and put them in black trash bags, working until bedtime.
Velma, who you don't see in any of the pictures, but who is our production manager and the mother of 5, was planning to start the 1st cooker at 6:AM and I said I'd be there at 7:AM.
Oops. No alarm set and I woke up at 7:00. I got over there around 7:30, the same time as Matt. So much for breakfast. Wil brought me coffee before he left for breakfast at the Essenhaus with his former OR co-workers. I decided that apples would be my breakfast and that I just wouldn't think about his feast that he would devour.

After breakfast Wil spent the rest of the day helping. We had quite the operation going.

Note our modern way of cranking the Victoria Strainer. We re-charged Batteries throughout the day. I told them I didn't think that was very Amish! It sure beat the sore arms from cranking. However, in spite of the modern way of cranking it was still work.

Monica explaining to Brennan and Sawyer what was happening. It was also Monica's first time doing applesauce.

We didn't add any sugar to our sauce, only pure vanilla and a 3/4 cup of water to each kettle of apples. Thick and Yum.
This gives you a glimpse of our finished project. We canned 272 quarts today!
Tonight my hands hurt, hurt, hurt. My back and toes are sore from being on my feet 11 hours.
In spite of all that, it feels like such an accomplishment and so rewarding.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Wow! I love making applesauce and Nate and I made our first batch this year. I have to say I'm extremely jealous of the whole cooker set up and the Amish-powered Victorio strainer :) My little old Kitchen-Aid with attachments did just fine and I didn't have to recharge any batt'ries.

Melissa said...

YUM!!! reminds me of the time charity and i made our own applesauce ... except we didn't make even a fraction of what you did ... and there were no amish people involved ... and no drills ... and no nephews :(

Anonymous said...

Yay! for all your apple sauce! such an accomplishment.

Glad for ya,
Sue