Sunday, March 15, 2009

Granola Recipe

I am posting the Granola Recipe since many of you have asked for it. It was given to me by my sister-in-law, Sue. (Thanks again, Sue)

Granola

5 cups oatmeal
1 cup veg. oil
1 cup brown sugar (I used a scant 2/3 cup)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup cashews or almonds, chopped ( I added 1 cup raw cashews & almonds)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup wheat bran
2 tsp. salt ( I used 1 tsp.-Sue thought the 2 tsp was too salty.

Mix together the oatmeal and oil. Add rest of ingredients. Bake at 300 degrees , for one hour or until lightly brown; stirring every 10 min. Store in air tight container.

Mine was almost too brown at 50 minutes. I will not bake it quite as long the next time. I also added dried craisins after it was baked. I plan to add dried blue berries the next time.


Matt and Wil decided we should make our own Yogurt. I told Wil that was his project. He used Sue's recipe for the 1st batch and our neighbor Velma's for the 2nd batch. I have a feeling he will come up with his own before he is totally satisfied.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the recipe!

BTW- I read in the More With Less cookbook that the gelatin is added to keep the yogurt from "separating" or getting watery.

Anonymous said...

If Wil does modifying I'll be interested in knowing how it turns out. I think what Mary said about the gelatin makes sense, and I also wondered if maybe the sugar has something to do with it...? ... talking about it being "stringy".

Best wishes!