Sunday, May 30, 2010

Feelings, nothing more than feelings

This evening as I sit alone in my house, I'm pondering a lot lot of things. Some of my thoughts, are best not shared.

Today at church, someone insinutaed that I don't value old people, since I didn't think that Wil's quartet needed to practice before singing at Greencroft.

It was just a reminder for me, once again, that one doesn't always see the full picture. This person explained why he reacted to me and I explained, that this is a busy time in my life. Right now, I'm committed to helping with our grandchildren, whom are our pride and joy.

We also go to LaGrange, to the Nursing Home 2-3 times a week to visit my Mother-in-law. Those visits are mixed with mother's tears of happiness to see us, complaining about the same rules each time, and then today, complaining about a Male Nurse having the nerve to come in her room and try and take care of her! We also found out that Wil's Dad, feels negleted when we don't take the time to visit with him every few days. I wonder sometimes how my parents must feel about us, since we seldom visit them.

Feelings, nothing more than feelings.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, Kathy. I guess that's what they mean when they talk about the "sandwich generation". As an outsider, I see/hear how you are giving of yourself a lot these days. I think you'll just have to be the one to extend some grace to yourself since the "needy" ones in your life may not be able to. I, for one, appreciate knowing that you and Wil and Mary are taking good care of Daudies. And they are well cared for, even if they can't see that for themselves.

anna said...

Well, you may not know, but dad told Rusty last week that he has children living around him and they don't stop in to see them very often. But do you see them, who have all the time in the world, stopping in to see their kids? :) I think he was feeling a bit "needy". I think Deb was right about extending yourself some grace.

beemanworld said...

Kathy, this is such a tough stage in your life. I cannot imagine being in that "sandwich generation" and having to care of so many people at one time. You are so giving and yet give so much of yourself. Give yourself a break! You need it.

Mary A. Miller said...

Kathy, don't minimize your feelings!! Those are your feelings,and you're entitled to them. Someone else may be at a different stage and not understand them, but it doesn't make them less real! (I'm there with you. Feeling like I'm neglecting my kids AND my parents too much of the time.)