Wednesday, July 30, 2014

At home after surgery

Since I hadn't slept at the hospital the night after surgery due to pain while on the CPM machine, I had high hopes for a restful evening. My almost 88 year old mother brought dinner soon after we got home from the hospital. My grandsons cheered me on as I walked up our long ramp into the house. I wasn't sitting more then a minute when Jeremiah brought me a glass of ice water. He then slid over a bar stool for my table and yet another glass of water to make sure I didn't run out. Although I was glad to be home, it didn't do anything for my pain. I had a lot of activity before going home and by 8:30, I was hurting a lot with a whole hour to wait before I could have anymore Narcotics. One hour after I finally got my pain meds, I was still in a lot of pain and couldn't get comfortable. Finally after trying numerous things, I got comfortable and slept all night!

Thursday July 24th, my friend Bernie came, brought fruit and stayed with me a few hours until my sister, Carol came for the rest of the day. Carol brought along fresh bread and didn't kinds of supplement vitamins to try and help my inflammation and pain. I was pretty much drugged and along with the vitamins ended up having a good day.

My 1st time seeing my staples was on Thur evening bath time..





Friday July 25th, I woke up surprised because I had slept 2 hours past when my pain meds were due. My friend and co-worker, Jan came and brought with her breakfast with her from the Country Coral. It was very tasty but like usual, I couldn't eat much since I was taking a fairly high dosage of Narcotics which also made me loopy and I had now gone 4 days without my bowels moving. To make sure that I would survive Physical Therapy, we decided I would take another dose of pain meds( narcotics) before we left since I had taken the last ones so late.

On the way out to Goshen, I wasn't feeling the best. By the time we got there, I was feeling sick. I was in the bathroom feeling like I should vomit, when they called me back. By the end of my session which consisted mostly of stretches and measuring, I ended up on the edge of the table leaning over the waste basket on my lap! Jan went to drive up the van while the Therapist attempted to walk me out. I ended up being taken out on a wheel chair and sent home with a barf bag. Less then a quarter mile down the road I did what I felt like doing for the last hour. Twice more on the way home! You should know that Jan has a very super sensitive stomach when she is around nauseous people. All the way home she kept talking about things she was seeing and I knew she was distracting herself. After the 3rd time, I heard her open the van window and she commented on how she was pretty pleased that she was handling this ok. I suggested we stop at the Amish store and get some 7-up or sprite. While she was getting that, I sent Monica a text that we were almost home and I've been vomiting. Page was there to meet us when we got home and she took over handling the barf bag. By the time I got to the top of the ramp, I asked to have the bag back and just as soon as I entered the house, it came and came and came!!!! In the midst of my uncontrollable release of vomit, I head Jan starting to gag! Then I heard Monica telling Jan to go outside and get some air. She assured Jan that she had a tough stomach and she would take care of it, and that she did. It took until 4:30 that day before I could eat or drink anything. It was decide that I had just taken too many pills. After eliminations from both ends, I felt better and we changed the amount of Narcotics I get and added more natural and another less potent pain killer.

I also had a brief visit from Glenda and Micah.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: