Watching the Green Planet channel is so interesting and inspires one to do what you can for the environment. Deb and Nate also do a good job at reminding us of ways to be more green.I was feeling pretty good about how much we recycle, thinking that I'm doing my part. However, recently I started thinking about how many things that I buy in containers that need to be recycled. What could I be doing different.
Today Matt was talking about possibly switching to cloth diapers and then I brought up my guilt feelings for all the things that I buy in plastic and tin containers. We eat a lot of yogurt, and so immediately the guys decided that maybe we should make our own yogurt. Years ago when my children were little, my sisters and I used to make our own. Wil's sister, Sue makes great yogurt and so we need to get her recipe. Oh yes, we also decided that we may as well make our own granola. We eat a lot of that as well.
I love it that the guys are the ones doing the research and that they will probably be the ones making the yogurt!
I know that it would help if I would cook my own beans. There are so many things that I could do if I just would.
What are some ideas that you have that would be helpful?
4 comments:
Interesting post, Kathy. It just so happens that right now I am trying to make alfalfa sprouts. I love them on sandwiches and in salads, but it's easy to not get them made. I don't know if people actually buy them.
I bow humbly as you mention my yogurt recipe...=)
Sue
I don't know how all of you make dried beans, but I was always taught you need to soak them first and then cook them. Out here the Hopis don't do any soaking - just wash and throw them in a pot to cook for 3 or more hours. So I have started putting mine in the crock pot over night or all day. Then I just make rice or whatever I am going to add to the meal. I usually make a full crock pot then I freeze what I don't use for that meal.
Roxane-do you put your crock pot on high or low? Sounds like a great idea.
I put the crock pot on low.
Post a Comment