Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Major Changes

It's hard to believe that it has already been 2 weeks since we buried my Father-in-law. Four weeks ago today, he had his accident, and our life hasn't been the same since. It's amazing how life, for me, stopped during that time. Nothing else really mattered. During that time I didn't even think about all the things that had troubled me, and felt really big to me, just weeks earlier. After I went back to work, it took a little getting used to, knowing that life goes on and very few people were affected by the change that had just happened to us.


We have chosen to bring my Mother-in-law home from the Nursing Home and move her in with us. I am very aware that there are many opinions as to whether we are doing the right thing or not. We will be the 1st to say that we know that it won't be easiest thing we have ever done. However, Wil and I both have peace about our decision and I know that we will be there for each other. We aren't alone in this. Wil's family is pretty tight and supportive. We would probably feel more trapped if we didn't have our son, daughter-in-law and all 4 of the grandchildren in our backyard.


I do hope to still work at Middlebury Chiropractic on Mondays and Saturdays. I feel that I need that time away from home and it would be asking a lot to hire and train someone that quickly to do some of the things that I do there. We will be bringing Mother home the end of July.


Please help us find an Adult sitter/care-giver, for Mother.
It will need to be someone that

: enjoys older people
: strong enough to transport her from chair to wheelchair
: comfortable in helping her eat
: comfortable with helping her with bathroom needs
: at times, get her dressed
Other than that, there would be free time to read or do whatever else they would want to do with their time.

P1010785 My Mother-in-law visiting with my Mother

7 comments:

anna said...

Bless you! I don't know if that is the right decision or not. I've not walked that path before. However, I admire you for trying to help and not be afraid to move ahead just because not everyone thinks it is going to be an easy task. Which, it probably won't. I know your reward will be great! And you know, if it doesn't work out, at least you tried.

Marlys said...

Kathy, I think it is WONDERFUl that you are bringing her home!! You will NEVER regret it. I want to chat more about this but not on your blog. =)

ginny said...

really admire you for doing this!! I'm sure it will be a blessing to her & you will be blessed for it!!

Melissa said...

wish i was closer to be more of a help ...

Deb said...

Wow! I didn't know this was even an option. I think it is wonderful for her to be with you guys, especially as you are all grieving right now.

I don't know what else to say except that I have a bit of an idea of what this task may look like and I admire you for taking it on.

Marilyn said...

Kathy, You will be blessed for taking care of Mom! I'm sure she will love it in your home. I so enjoyed visiting her on Monday...still considering.
Marilyn

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

Good for you! I'm sure your mil will feel secure and blessed with this decision, even though it will be a lot of work on your part. My sister, Kath (and Duane) are caring for his mom in their home and it does get heavy at times, but yet they know it was and is the right thing for now.