Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oops

When I posted my title, I had to wonder how many posts that I previously titled "oops".

Yesterday I took Mother to Dr. Neer to see if there is something else we could try for her tremors. He took her off several meds and decided to try a different med. She is to take a 1/2 pill every night for 7 days, then 1 for 7, then 1 1/2 for 7, then 2. Last night she had her 1st dose.

This morning at 5:30 when Mother woke up, Wil took her to the bathroom since he was already up. I heard her asking about me, so I got up and went down and got what I thought was her Thyroid. The routine, when she gets up at that time is, I take my Thyroid and give hers as well and then she goes back to bed. This morning I kind of wanted her up and dressed by 7:00, since it was my day to also keep Sawyer and Jeremiah. I turned up the music louder and louder, but she just kept right on sleeping with her mouth hanging open. I finally went in and woke her up and she talked like she was drunk. I sat up her, half dressed her and put her back to bed.

After Wil left for work and I went back to the kitchen, I discovered that Wil had set her new drug next to her Thyroid and right away, I knew I had given her the new med instead of her Thyroid!! I was able to wake her up enough to feed her breakfast and then she slept again on the chair. She would somewhat wake up when the children would come over to show her something. She kept saying that she didn't know what was wrong and so I confessed that it was my fault, that I had given her the wrong pill. She was given more coffee this morning than she normally gets. At noon, she asked for soda crackers and then she wanted me to make eggs. She probably could have asked me for anything today and got it!

I had noticed this morning whenever Jeremiah would take Mother her water, she was able to hold it without shaking. When I had her food ready, I set it in front of her and told her to go ahead and start eating. She bowed her head to pray and then started to eat!!!! She had no trouble at all feeding herself and even drank her coffee without a staw. The only problem, she still had enough drugs in her that she would forget that she could feed herself.

I called the Doctor to confess what I had done and ask if we should give her dose tonight or skip it. I also wanted to share my excitement about her hands not shaking all over the place and being able to feed herself. The Nurse was happy with me and told me to skip tonights dose.

She did go back to bed after lunch and we will see how her night goes. If I'm up a lot tonight, I have no one but myself to blame. I am however happy to know there is a chance that she can live without her hands shaking so much all the time.

5 comments:

Mary A. Miller said...

LOL! Oops, indeed, but very interesting that it made such a difference in her tremors! That's so encouraging! (so, kinda glad you made that goof!) Do hope she sleeps tonight! :)

Unknown said...

Awww...Kathy. What a story! :) What a woman you are to take care such good of her. Bless your sweet heart.

Unknown said...

Opps....it should have said..."to take such good care of her." :)

Sue said...

This is very amazing and unbelievable! I'm anxious to see how the next several days go. And also hope the nights go well.

It makes you wonder ...

Melissa said...

wow -- I can't imagine her hands being still enough to feed herself! I bet she would have enjoyed it if she had been awake enough :)