Do you ever really laugh about something, then wonder just how appropriate it was to laugh? It seems like the subject of death and dying is talked about much more in our home in the last few months than it ever was before.
Tonight at the dinner table Wil's Mom was asking why she just seemingly can't get any better. It seems to be a daily topic. I told her that one needs to want to live if they want to get better, and then I asked her if she wants to live. She said that she wasn't sure that she really wanted to. She then promptly looked at Wil and said, "did you know that Henry isn't doing very good?" She went on to say, "you know, he could even die before me." Wil looked at her and said, "well, if you can do anything about it, we'd really appreciate if you wouldn't both die at the same time." I simply split out laughing until the tears came! The Mom says, "well maybe we should try and arrange that." Of course then I laughed again. Maybe you just had to be there, I don't know.
8 comments:
LOL! so funny! Laughter is good medicine, I hear. :)
i think the best and most strange humor comes out in the most stressful and serious of times. you HAVE to laugh to survive.
Way to keep humor alive in your house! I agree with the comments above!!
I am right there with you. There are just some times when if you don't laugh, you'll cry!
I would have loved to hear that conversation! Bless your hearts! And mom's too!
Yes, laughter is good medicine!
I agree with everyone...Laughter is good for the soul! I liked Mommy's matter of fact statement and also Will's! LOL
You & Will have been wonderful for her and you will be blessed! I'll bet all the little ones love coming over to see you guys & Great-Grandma! Bless you! XOXO
O Kathy that is so funny. Funerals can be so morbid and Amish wedding ceremonies aren't usually filled with laughter, yet I have memories of multiple occasions when something triggered fits of entirely inappropriate giggling/guffawing that we tried to stifle which only made matters worse. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.
Dear Kathy,
Those are priceless conversations, humorous & poignant & real.
You and Will are giving her such a wonderful gift. I thank God everytime I think about your sacrificial hearts.
Love....your brother Al
Post a Comment