Today-We enjoyed having my parents and Norm & Carol here for lunch and the afternoon. My parents hadn’t been at our house for 6 months, so it was special to have them here. Wil’s Mom was not able to join us at the table but was in the recliner next to the table. I thought we would play games in the afternoon, but the turkey made us all tired and so we ended up resting and visiting on the recliners. Carol made her rounds and worked on most of our feet.
Christmas Eve, we had our traditional wet burrito casserole with ours kids that are around here. We had a fun evening, in spite of everything.
Grandma Barbara has not been doing well at all, the last few days. Thursday night was a tough night, then after sleeping in on Christmas Eve morning, she woke up saying she felt better then she had in quite a while. That was short lived. By the time she was done eating breakfast, her BP dropped, she wasn’t feeling well, was confused and was not the easiest to make happy, to say the least. At one point, while I was on the phone with Monica, I looked over at Mom, who was sitting in her wheelchair watching Wil cut down a tree, and she had leaned way forward and looked like she could fall off her chair any minute. I ran over and sat her up and asked what she was doing, she said that had I told her to do that. Most of the afternoon, it was hard to get much of a response from her. She ate very little at our family dinner and I could tell that it really bothered Brennan, the way she was looking and her lack of response.
Later after she had been in bed for about an hour, she had two different group of Christmas Carolers. That seemed to bring her back to life for a while. She responded more to the kids after that.
Jeremiah decided he wanted to watch Grandma Barbara’s, "How Great Thou Art" video with her.
The night, however, ended up being a really tough night. Starting at 2:30, she was calling out saying, Oh my, Oh my. When I got down, she asked about the strawberries, did I get them done. I assured her that yes, I did, even though I didn’t have a clue what she was talking about. She then talked of her pain and so I repositioned her. This kind of thing was constant until 6 AM. Wil went down a few times and sometimes we both went down. A lot of the time, I just stayed in bed and listened to her, since there was nothing more to do. Finally at 6:00, I asked if I should pray with her and she said yes. I just started praying when she said, now my feet hurt! Exhausted, I repositioned her yet again and turned on her How Great Thou Art video and within 5 minutes she finally went to sleep. She slept until 8:30, then woke up in good spirits. That lasted about 20 minutes. Most of the day she said very little and often we struggled knowing what she was trying to say. The last few days, her skin on her face feels cold most of the time and her body is becoming very frail. This evening we wondered if she would be able to talk with us again. We called Pastor Ben and I just wrote a text message to all the grandchildren and was ready to send it, when she snapped out it and started to carry on a conversation with us!! Granted she was somewhat confused but she mostly made sense. She talked of dying, asked how she can go and just has no desire to live like this. Tonight we go to bed once again wondering………….
2 comments:
Sounds like a very stressful few days to say the least. :(
I can't even begin to put myself in your position and imagine what that might be like for her or you all that are watching her go through it or for people like Melissa who I'm sure yearn to be closer to home in times like these. Will be praying for you all as I'm sure this is so difficult.
Post a Comment