Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hydraulic Lift

I discovered that it’s hard to take your own picture!

P1020671

Tuesday was my 1st day, caring for Mom alone since her episode on Thursday. I told Wil that I had to have the Lift, that the Home Health Nurses kept telling me about. Park Home Medical delivered it last night. I almost cried, when I saw it! It’s a huge apparatus that appeared so cumbersome to use. Sue told me to go ahead and cry, when I told her about it. The main reason that I wanted something, was for something to help me transfer her in the bathroom. Having her in an upright position while pulling down or up her depends, when she is too weak to stand, is a challenge. Well, believe me, my bathroom would need to be twice as wide in order for that lift to work in the bathroom.

You are not to push the hoist while the patient is in it, but we put Isaiah in it and tried it anyway. It’s impossible, but….we all laughed so hard in the process of trying and it helped calm me down a bit! Today, I will try and use it to transfer from the chair to the wheel chair and decide, if we keep it.

P1020672

Well, so now I have one more piece of furniture to add to my house. In my mind, there was only one option. Rearrange the furniture. So at 9:30 last evening, we did just that!

P1020677

7 comments:

Melissa said...

the room is lookin' good! let us know how the lift works.

Melissa said...

love the pics!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out if thats a porta potty I see there too in the dining room or if you will actually use it in the bathroom? Hmm, yes,have been wondering how you've been able to manage by yourself. I had to lol too when I saw the pic of Isaiah in the bathroom...I could only imagine:)
Marilyn

Mary A. Miller said...

I just knew Isaiah would get his ride! :) Like the LR arrangement.

Carolyn Miller said...

these pictures are worth a thousand words

Deb said...

Oh, I hope the lift helps with the transfers. I've been trained on how to use them with a student and they really do save your back and body despite being cumbersome. I love that your response was to rearrange the furniture. That sounds like something I would do.

Sue said...

I'm anxious to see your new arrangement. I wish/hope the lift will work...wonder how you feel about it by now?