Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Special Moments


Once again Grandma/Mother Barbara passed out while on the toilet yesterday. During that 35-40 minutes, there were lots of times that she wouldn't be breathing for long periods of time. In the beginning I wasn't able to get a BP and then when I did, it was as low as 34/23. Wil's sister Sue was here with me. Soon after she had passed out I got a call from Hospice giving me the time she was coming out to admit her into the program. I said to just quick give me a time, since Mom had just passed out. It soon became obvious that Sue and I were not going to be able to get Mom off the toilet on our own, so I did what we always do, I called Matt home from work. We also had Wil on speaker phone with us quite a while. With some difficulty, we got her off the toilet and into her bed. Numerous times, I thought it was over and on the way from the toilet to the bed, I said, "this is it". As soon as we had her in bed, I called Wil and said to come home and I called our Hospice Nurse and asked her to come. The Home Health Nurse ended up coming, since Mom was not legally a Hospice patient yet. As it turned out, Mom started breathing regularly when Wil was on his way home and gained consciousness and started talking before the Nurse got here.

Our daughter-in-law, Monica said that Grandma Barbara is just like a computer, she needs to shut down and re-boot every now and then!

The Nurse checked her out. Her Oxygen was good, her BP was actually elevated because by this time, her Parkinson tremors were quite bad. Wil and Matt went back to work, the Nurse left and Mom slept.

Wil's sister, Mary came after she got off work and so the 3 of us girls were all here for the Hospice admission. I was so glad Sue and Mary could meet Candice, the Nurse, because I have really been impressed with her.

Marilyn(who helps care for Mom on Mondays) and her sister Joyce stopped in to visit, late afternoon. Mom was so happy to see them. She really likes and loves Marilyn. She was so talkative and upbeat while they were here. In fact during the night when she woke up, she said, "oh I still can't believe David and Mary Ellen's girls were here, that was so nice."

Wil worked late since it's been a struggle to get his work done of late with all the activity here at home. The 3 of us girls ate dinner with Mom but she wasn't eating much and soon was talking of the need to go to bed. She had hardly eaten anything. One look at her and I was quite sure her B/P was dropping. Sure enough 60/43. We got her to the restroom and to bed as soon as possible. After Wil came home and Mom had rested some, Wil did the routine thing and read to her in the Psalms. We were all in the bedroom for this time and then we asked if she would like us to sing. She requested that we sing, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms. After we sang the song, she requested for it to be sung at her funeral, and then said that she would like to tell us which other songs to have at her funeral. We sang until our voices were getting weary. We then gathered around her and prayed. We were not expecting her to say a prayer, but she did and it was very special. Our time together will be remembered.

I slept in the LR last night to make sure that I hear her. Her voice is kind of weak after she sleeps with her mouth open and all the apnea. I got her up on the comode once during the night and again this morning. Since about 4:00 this morning, her breathing sounded like she should bring up something which she is normally not able to do. When I got her up at 7:45, a lot came up when she coughed. She is now back in bed and breathing without the gurgling sound.

She may still be with us a long time, but right now it doesn't appear that way. At the same time, we change what we think numerous times though out the day.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Kathy, what a special experience of life in it's full range you are experiencing right now - from little grandbabies and Isaiah growing up and walking with Matt and Monica in the young family stage and you guys in a middle of life stage and caring for Grandma Barbara at the end-of-life stage - honestly it seems like a rich blessing mixed in with all the harriedness and stress of elder care, especially if you can find humor in some of the things that happen. :) Bless you, Kathy and Wil, and I pray that God gives you what you need in the ever changing moments. Thanks for sharing this online!!

Anonymous said...

tears...what a wonderful time spent together. She could never be more loved by her children. You all are the best!!

Marilyn said...

Forgot to sign my name on the above comment!

Anonymous said...

God can read each falling tear
He see's the heart that's needing cheer
He knows the path that's hard and drear
Don't give up for He is near.

From a wall motto of my mother. I can relate of spending many nights sitting beside her bed. You will never regret what you are doing for your mother, Wil & Kathy, Sue and Mary. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this trying time. Irene